Veterinary College, Hebbal, Bengaluru
The Veterinary College, Bangalore was inaugurated on 25th July, 1958, by the then Honorable Chief Minister of Karnataka Shri.B.D.Jatti and started functioning in Mysore serum institute, now called Institute of Animal Health and Veterinary Biologicals (IAH & VB).
The present college campus, located in the 196 acres plot was inaugurated by His Highness the Maharaja Shri Jaya Chamarajendra Wodeyar, the Governor of Karnataka, on 6th January 1962 and the same was then affiliated to Mysore University, Mysore. In 1965, the college became the constituent college of the University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore under trimester system of education in-line with land-grant system of education. In 2004, after the establishment of Karnataka Veterinary Animal and Fisheries Sciences University (KVAFSU), the college has become the part of the Veterinary University. The College celebrated its golden jubilee year from September 2007 to August 2008.
The main focus of this college is teaching, research and extension. Its aim is to make veterinary education responsive to the growing needs of the society in general and aspirations of the livestock farmers in particular. In this direction effort is to produce highly skilled and competent manpower to meet the needs of the changing society and challenges of the emerging new areas of research and extension.
To meet these challenges, the college has nineteen well equipped departments with highly qualified and skilled staff involved in offering BVSc & AH programe as per Veterinary Council of India regulations. The college is also involved in offering Masters and Doctoral program in seventeen and fourteen disciplines respectively. Besides the college has well equipped hospital at Hebbal and Yelahanka with state of art facility for teaching, research as well as for to serve the farming community. The college has instructional farm that includes dairy, sheep, piggery, poultry farm and experimental small animal unit.
The college has so far produced about 4000 veterinary graduates and more than 1200 post graduates who are working across the globe in different capacities. The graduates of this college are working in many renowned institutes like IISc., CCMB, NIDC, CIFE, NRC’s, NDRI, IVRI, NIANP etc, while some have entered into civil services and excelling in their field.
Students from different parts of the country as well as other countries have passed out through the portals of the college. Students from countries like USA, Canada, Malaysia, Iran, Iraq, Ghana, Mauritius, Nigeria, Somalia, Uganda, Nepal, Srilanka, Afghanistan and Bahrain have been attracted by this college for various academic purposes.
The Giriraja and Swarnadhara bird developed by the Department of Poultry Science of the college has become icon of backyard poultry farming in the rural and tribal areas of our country and also many Asian countries. UAS sheep breed was developed.
The college is collaborating with many foreign universities and institutes and gives training in the areas of clinics, animal sciences and wildlife. The graduates and staff members are playing a major role in the control of communicable diseases from animals to man like rabies, tuberculosis, brucellosis, leptospirosis, tapeworm infection etc.