Dr Y Basavaraju
Name and Designation : Prof. (Dr) Y Basavaraju, Associate Director of Resaerch, Fisheries Research and Information Center, Hesaraghatta and, KVAFSU, Nodal officer -Sujala III Project, Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University(Bidar), Regional campus, Bangalore- 560 024.
Date of Birth : 01/08/1955
- Bachelor of Fisheries Science, (B.F.Sc.,) from University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore (CGPA-3.27/4.00) Equivalent to 85.40%
- Master of Fisheries Science, ( M.F.Sc.,) from University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore– (CGPA 3.33/4.00) Equivalent to 86.40%
- Ph D by Research (Thesis on Fish breeding and Hybridization)
Professional Positions Held
- Associate Director of Research, and Nodal officer, KVAFSU- KWDD-Sujala III project- 6-3-2014 onwards, KVAFSU, Bidar.
- Director of Extension, KVAFSU, Bidar- 31-7-2013 to 5-3-2014.
- Professor and Head, Fisheries Research and Information Center, Hebbal and Hesaraghatta, KVAFSU 28-9-2010 to 30-7-2013.
- Dean (Fisheries), College of Fisheries, KVAFSU, Mangalore-27-9-2007 to 27-9-2010.
- Professor and Head, Fisheries Research and information Center, Hebbal and Hesaraghatta 1-4-2005 to 26-9-2007.
- Professor, Inland Fisheries Unit, UAS, Bangalore-7-11-2001 to 31-3-2005.
- Associate professor, Fisheries Research Station, Hesarahatta, UAS, Bangalore-7.11.93 to 6-11-2001
- Farm Superintendent (F), Fisheries Research Station, Hesarahatta, UAS, Bangalore-24-8-1984 to 6-11-93
- Assistant Professor (Aquaculture), Extension Education Unit, Regional Research Station, Mandya- UAS, Bangalore-7-1-1983 to23-8-1884
- Assistant Professor (Fish Breeding), College of Fisheries, Kerala Agricultural University, Panagad, Kochi,Kerala-29.9.1980 to 6.1.1983
- Instructor (Fish culture), College of Fisheries, Mangalore-UAS, Bangalore- 2-11-1978to 28-8-1980
Total service : 36 years; as professor and above: 13 years Served as Teacher (5 years), Researcher and Research administration and Management (15 years), Academic administrator (3years), Extension worker (1year 9months), Extension administrator (7months)
Post graduate guidance: Doctoral: as co-chairman (3); as member on advisory committee (2) Masters; as chairman (1); as member on advisory committee (4)
Publications (Research papers, Abstracts, Books, etc.): 125
Research Publications (Peer reviewed, presentations in conferences and symposiums, Abstracts etc., (93); Published in Scientific Magazines (5); Technical papers (12); Proceedings/Manuals (4); Books (3) Leaflets (8)
Externally funded Research projects Handled (Individual): 13 (604.43 Lakh Rs.)
As principal Investigator
International funding : 3 (Rs.131.63 lakhs)
National funding : 5 (Rs.353.44 lakhs)
State level funding : 2 (Rs. 41.52 lakhs)
As Co-Principal Investigator: 3 (Rs. 77.84Lakhs)
Institutional/sponsored projects as Nodal officer/PI: 2 (1162 Lakh rupees)
a) Trainings programmes attended
1. Nine - months higher training on Fish Genetics at the Institute of Aquaculture, Stirling, UK
2. Four - 1 month’s training programmes in quantitative genetics sponsored by International center
for Living aquatic Resources (Present World Fish Center), Penang, Malaysia
b) Participation in Workshops/Seminars / Conferences/Exposure visits etc.,
- Participated in 22 international conferences
- Countries Visited: – United Kingdom, Hungary, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Australia, UAE, Bangladesh., Chile, Indonesia, France and USA.
Professor and Head of Research Center (5years)
Dean, College of fisheries, Mangalore for 3 years (2007-10)
Director of extension, KVAFSU, Bidar (July 2013- March 2014)
Experience of working on statutory bodies/Committees
- Expert Appraisal committee for CRZ, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous Projects and New Construction and Industrial Estate Projects, Ministry of Environment and Forest, Govt. of India.
- Research Advisory Council, Central Institute of Brackish water Aquaculture, ICAR, Chennai
- Research Advisory Council, Central Agriculture Research Institute, ICAR, Prot Blair, A&N Islands
- Research Advisory Council, National Bureau of Fish Genetics Research, ICAR, Lucknow
- Member, Board of Studies in Applied Zoology, Kuvempu University, 2004-2007
- Served as examiner for PG students of other Universities and selection of ASRB Board.
- Served in many international professional organizations as member including Board of Director, International Association for Genetics in Aquaculture (1997-2003)
- Served on Academic council, Research council, Extension council and Board of Studies of UAS Bangalore and KVAFSU, Bidar
- Served as member task force for Technical staff of CIFA, (ICAR), Bhubaneswar
- Served as Chairman, selection committee for teachers, scorecard committee, and enquiry committee of the university.
- Served on the Board of Examination, Central Institute of Fisheries Education(Deemed University), Mumbai
Experience of organizing Workshops/Seminars/Conference
- Organized 11 National/ International workshops/seminars either as a Chairman or member of organizing committee
Awards and Recognitions (14)
- British Council Sponsorship award for training programme on Fish Genetics in the Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, U.K. during Mar-Dec, 1993.
- University Gold Medal/Cash Award and Certificates of Merit for securing grants from external funding agencies from UAS, Bangalore and KVAFSU, Bidar (7)
- Incentive Award for developing new breed of common carp from KVAFSU, Bidar
- Certificate of Appreciation by Asian Fisheries Society at Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- Best Poster Awards from Indian Fisheries Forum and National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (2)
- Plaque for meritorious research leadership and successful management of DFID – AFGRP project from University of Stirling and University of Wales, UK.
Major contributions/ Institution building
- Developed an improved fish breed and was released by the university for commercial production and has been distributed to about 12 states across the country
- Secured funds to a tune of over Rs.600 lakhs through international and national agencies for research and infrastructure development in my individual capacity as researcher
- Procured funds to a tune 1000 lakh rupees under RKVY for research and development at College and Research Centers during 2006-2008 as in charge of Research Center and as Dean
- Responsible for establishing a 15acre Fish Farm leading to establishment of FRIC at Hebbal Campus in 2006
- Establishment of laboratory building by securing sponsorship from Govt. of India at Hebbal, Bangalore in 2006
- Was responsible for getting funding of 2.5 crores from ICAR for Developing E course for BFSc degree programme under NAIP programme as Dean of the College
- A swimming pool, sports complex ,college auditorium, field laboratory in fish farm were renovated and put to use, Promoted PPP in infrastructure development at College of Fisheries, Mangalore during my tenure as Dean of the College during 2007-2010
- Responsible for Recognition of laboratory as Environmental lab by KSPCB, Govt of Karnataka
Eight years of experience in UG and PG teaching. Served as Dean, College of Fisheries, and Mangalore for Three years (2007 – 2010). Also served as Director of Extension, Experience in managing a professional College in Education, Research and Extension. Over Twenty four years of experience in the Directorate of Research having worked as Farm Superintendent, Assistant Professor /Fisheries Scientist and Professor, Acquired wide knowledge on functioning of Directorate of Research including farm management, personnel management and involved in developmental activities including income generation activities and record management etc. Developed and released a new variety of fish breed.
Having worked as drawing officer for over 24 years possesses good knowledge on financial management. Handled more than 10 National and International Research project. Two years experience as subject matter specialist. Involved in extension activities exclusively for about two years in the Extension Education Unit in UAS, Bangalore. Organized many international, national workshops/seminars/training programmes. Conducted many farm trails and demonstrations besides writing popular articles, giving radio and TV talks. Served in number of statutory bodies at university, state and National level.
Dr. Manjappa N
Qualification :M.F.SC., Ph.D (Aquaculture)
Contact No. : 080-28466244(O) 7760284094 (P)
e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Area of specialization: Fish Genetics and Breeding
Opp. Veterinary College,
As Principal Investigator: 04
- “Development of captive brood stock of Sand whiting and Pearl spot”
- ‘Development and adoption of best management practices (BMP) of shrimp farming to maximize benefits to small stake holders for improved livelihood’
- Developed technology for fish culture in water harvesting structures in watersheds funded by Karnataka Watershed Development Department under Sujala III –Davanagere District.
- Intensive fish farming in recirculatory aquaculture system
As Co-Principal Investigator: 03
- Demonstration of Brackish water Polyculture Technology for Rural Development in Coastal Karnataka.
- Mariculture (AINP).
- Sex manipulation in common carp and its hybrid using Indian Major Carp, Rohu: Genetic and Molecular Endocrinological approaches
- Seed Money Young scientist Research felicitation 2014.
- Certificate of merit in recognition of research grant mobilization of Rs. 9.07 Lakhs from NABARD, Bengaluru (2010-11).
- Introduced brackishwater polyculture technology in Uttara kannada District.
- Established a shrimp back yard hatchery at FRIC(M), Ankola farm.
- N. Manjappa, N. Basavaraja and Vasanthakumar 2006. Studies on sex ratio and body indices of different age groups of common carp fed on norethindrone. Journal of Aquaculture in Tropics, 21 (3-4): 169-180.
- H. Shivananda Murthy, PrakshPavadi, N.S. Sudhakar, N. Manjappa, V.S. Chinthamani and R. Shankar 2009. Fish compost and its effect on growth and survival of Indian Major Carp Labeorohita. Journal of Applied Aquaculture, 21 (1-11): 1-11.
- V. Sridhar, N. Manjappa, S.R. Somashekar, T.J. Ramesha and Kamalesh Panda 2011. Acute toxicity of Hexavalent chromium to the Larvae of Marine Invertibrates. Journal of Ecology and Fisheries, 4 (1): 27-34.
- M.T. Lakshmipathi, N. Manjappa, S.M.Shivaprakash, S.N. Sathyanarayanappa, and B.R.Pujar 2011. Better Management Practices In Shrimp Farming- An Onfarm Demonstration At MFRIC, Ankola, Uttara Kannada , Karnataka, Fishing chimes, 31 (9):40-43.
- A.T. Ramachandra Naik, H.Shivananda Murthy, C.V. Raju, N. Manjappa S.R. Somashekar, 2008. Dietary sardine oil on growth, survival and enzymatic activity of freshwater prawn Macrobrachiumrosenbergii 24th National Conference of the ISCAP on Biotechnological Strategies for Biodiversity Conservation (BSBC). 13th to 15th March, 2008. BP5: 37
- N. Manjappa and Dr. Lakshmipathi, M.T, 2010. Role of Aquaculture in Rural development, Poverty Alleviation and Food Security Workshop of low value fish species in strengthening food security in India. 25th to 26,March, 2010.
- Lakshmipathi, M.T. and N. Manjappa2010.An Overview Of Fisheries Activity in Uttara Kannda District. Poverty Alleviation and Food Security Workshop of low value fish species in strengthening food security in India. 25th to 26, March, 2010.
- Prakash pavadi and N. Manjappa 2010. Impact of fish compost on natural food production. Fishing Chimes, 29 (12): 47-49.
- A.vasanthakumar, N. Basavaraja*, N. Manjappa and B.H. Vinod. 2011 Manipulation of sex and progeny testing inCommon carp, cyprinuscarpio(linn.) J. Aqua Trop. Vol. 26, No. (1-2) 2011, Pages 63-81.
- Prakash Pavadi, H. Shivananda Murthy, A.T. Ramachandra Naik*, M. Shivakumar, M.T. Lakshmipathi ,N. Manjappa, T.J. Ramesha and R. Shankar. 2012. Dietary administration of a feed attractant (aquasavor) on growth, nutrient utilization and biochemical composition of freshwater prawn (Macrobrachiumrosenbergii). Inter. J. Sci., Env. Tech., 1( 5):439 – 446.
- Shivaprakash, S.M. Shivashankar. N., N. Manjappa and A.T. Ramachandra Naik. 2012. Energy distribution pattern in the edible and inedible body parts of Etroplussuratensis (Bloch). Inter. J. Sci., Env. Tech., 1 ( 5),:462 – 472.
- Jitendra Kumar, Vijay Kumar M.E., K.B. Rajanna, Mahesh, V., Kumar Naik A.S., Asheesh K. Pandey*, N. Manjappa and Jag Pal. 2013. Ecological Benefits of Mangrove. Life Sciences Leaflets. 48 (2014): 85 to 88.
- A.S. Kumar Naik, , Jitendra Kumar, S. Benakappa, S.R. Somashekara, H.N. Anjanayappa, , N. Manjappa, V. Mahesh. 2014. Ichthyofaunal Diversity of Chulkinala Reservoir. Animal Science Reporter,8(2): 48-62.
- Manjappa N, N. Basavaraja, H.N. Anjaneyappa. 2015. Reproductive Biology of Estuarine Whiting, SillagoVincenti (Mckay,1980). Journal of Aquaculture in the Tropics (30):95-110.
- Jagdish, T.D. Shivananda Murthy, H, Surendranath, S.V. PreethaPanikkar, Manjappa, N. andMahesh, V. 2015. Effects of supplementation of Marigold (Tageteserecta) oleoresin on growth, survival and pigmentation of Rosy barb, Puntius conchonius (Hamilton). The Bioscan 10(3): 1431-1435.
Published books: 7
Membership of professional societies/bodies
- College of Fisheries Alumni Association, Mangalore.
- Member of Professional Fisheries Graduate Forum
DR. RAVINDRAGOUDA PATIL
- Qualified Fisheries Biotechnology professional with more than 7 years of teaching & research experience in the field of Aquatic Biotechnology/ Biotechnology.
- Theory and laboratory courses handled, include Immunology, Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Advances in Molecular Disease Diagnosis, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Analytical Techniques in Biotechnology etc.
- Successfully developed a cryopreservation protocol for the cryopreservation of spermatozoa of two endangered faunal species of India during Doctoral Research Project
- Successfully isolated antibiotic producing marine actinomycetes having activity against many bacterial pathogens including seafood-borne pathogens during Masters Research Project
- Research Projects Guided / Supervised: * B.E.(Biotech) students (2008-2009) – One
* B.Tech. (Ind. Biotech.) students (2006-2007) – Eight
* M. Tech. (Biotech) students (2004-2005) – One
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)-National Eligibility Test(NET)- Qualified
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Bioinformatics ( 2008)
- Diploma in “Office Automation”- MS Office and the Internet
- Ability to handle various projects from the feasibility to the implementation stage, ensuring on time deliverables within pre-set cost parameters. Possess up to date knowledge of latest technological advancements, regulations/ guidelines and statutory compliances in the industry.
- Focused and hardworking professional equipped with thorough knowledge and technical understanding coupled with an analytic bent of mind and confident to take challenging assignments.
♦ Molecular Biology & Genetic Engineering Techniques ( DNA, RNA Isolation, Agarose/PAGE, PCR, Cloning, Southern/Western/Northern Blotting and Hybridisation, RFLP, RAPD etc) ♦ Immunological Techniques (ODD, MRD, IE, CCIE, RIE, RIA, ELISA, Chemiluminescence Assay, FISH) ♦ Flow Cytometer ♦ Microbiological Techniques ( Plating Methods, Enumeration Methods, Differential Staining, Biochemical Tests, Cloning) ♦ Chromatographic Techniques (TLC, HPLC, GC, GFC, AC, IEC ) ♦
KARNATKA VETERINARY, ANIMAL & FISHERIES SCIENCES UNIVERSITY, BIDAR, KARNATAKA, INDIA Nov ’11 – Till Date
GONDAR MEDICAL COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY, GONDAR, ETHIOPIA Nov ‘09 – Jul ‘11
Assistant Professor- Department of Biotechnology
SHRIDEVI INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY, TUMKUR, KARNATAKA, INDIA Jul ’08 – Nov ‘09
Assistant Professor- Department of Biotechnology
ADHIYAMAAN COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, HOSUR, TAMIL NADU, INDIA Jan ’06 – Apr ‘08
Senior Lecturer- Department of Biotechnology
DR. D. Y. PATIL VIDYAPEETH, NAVI MUMBAI, INDIA Jun ’04 – Jan ‘06
Senior Lecturer-Institute of BT, BI & BMS
DR. D. Y. PATIL VIDYAPEETH, NAVI MUMBAI, INDIA Feb ’04 – May ‘04
Senior Lecturer-Institute of BT, BI & BMS
- Ravindragouda Patil, G. Jeyasekaran and S. A. Shanmugam.2016. A novel, cost –effective cover slip holder for in situ microscopy of cover slip cultures of Actinomycetes. Life Sciences Leaflets, 79: 60 – 64.
- Ravindragouda Patil, G. Jeyasekaran and S. A. Shanmugam. 2016. Occurrence and antibacterial activity of Actinomycetes isolated from marine samples from Thoothukkudi, Tamil Nadu, on the east coast of India, against fish pathogens International Journal of Advanced Biological Research, 6 : 338-347.
- Ravindragouda Patil, G. Jeyasekaran and S. A. Shanmugam.2016. Antimicrobial potential of marine Actinomycetes Isolated from mangrove swamp areas. International Journal of Research in Applied, Natural and Social Sciences, 4: 119-126.
- Ravindragouda Patil, Lakra, W.S., Jahageerdar, S., Krishna, G and Pal, A. K. 2016. Development of a novel, cost effective, variable freezing rate apparatus for cryopreservation of fish semen for field use. Life Sciences Leaflets, 77: 113-117.
- Ghadge, S. and Patil, Ravindragouda. 2016. Antagonistic activity of actinomycetes isolated from soil samples of Satara District, Maharastra, India against selected human pathogens. International Journal of Advanced Biological Research, 6: 188-194.
- Ghadge, S. and Patil, Ravindragouda. 2016. Antimicrobial activity of Actinomycetes from soil samples of some micro-ecosystems of Satara District, Maharastra, India against selected human pathogens. Indian Journal of Natural Sciences, 6: 10736-10746.
- Ravindragouda Patil, Lakra, W.S., Jahageerdar, S., Krishna, G and Pal, A. K. 2016. Studies on fresh milt parameters and cellular changes during cryopreservation of spermatozoa of Deccan mahseer, Tor khudree (Sykes, 1839). Indian Journal of Fisheries, 63:67-73.
- Ravindragouda Patil, and Lakra, Wazir Singh, 2005. Effect of different cryoprotectants, equilibration periods and freezing rates during cryopreservation of spermatozoa of mahseer, Tor khudree (Sykes) and T. putitora (Hamilton)”. Aquaculture Research, 36 (15): 1465 – 1472.
- Ravindragouda Patil, Jeyasekaran, G., Shanmugam, S.A. and Shakila, R.J., 2001. Control of bacterial pathogens associated with fish diseases by antagonistic marine actinomycetes isolated from marine sediments. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 30(4): 264 – 267.
- Ravindragouda Patil, Jeyasekaran, G. and Shanmugam, S.A., 2001. Occurrence and activity of marine actinomycetes against shrimp bacterial pathogens. Applied Fisheries and Aquaculture, 1(1): 79- 81.
Post-Graduate Diploma in Bioinformatics, 2008
- Infitech Global, BTM Layout, Bangalore
Diploma in Office Automation, 2000
- NETBYTES – India, 7 Bungalows, Andheri (W), Mumbai, India
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) - in the Dept of FG & Biotechnology –IAC, 2003
- CIFE, Mumbai, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi, India
- Research Project on “Cryopreservation and ultra structure of the spermatozoa of Tor khudree and Tor putitora”
- Overall Grade Point Average (OGPA) Obtained - 8.76 on a 10.0 Point Scale, for the Course work & Credit Seminars
- Project Guide – Dr. W. S. Lakra, Director, Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE), Mumbai, ICAR, India
Masters Degree in Fisheries Biotechnology, 1999
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai
- Graduate Research Project in the field of Marine Microbial Biotechnology “Studies on the antagonistic effect of
marine actinomycetes against bacterial fish pathogens and seafood-borne pathogens”
- Overall Grade Point Average (OGPA) Obtained - 9.40 / 10.00, First Class
- Project Guide – Dr. G. Jeyasekaran, Professor, Dept. of FPT, FC &RI, Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu, TANUVAS, India
U.G. Degree, Fish & Fishery Sciences ,1996 (4 Year Degree Programme)
- College of Fisheries, Mangalore, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
- Overall Grade Point Average Obtained - 9.17 / 10.00, First Class with Distinction
- ICAR- Senior Research Fellowship (Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Govt. of India) during the Doctoral Degree from 1999-2003.
- ICAR- Junior Research Fellowship (Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Govt. of India) during the Master’s Degree Programme for the Period 1997-1999.
- UAS Merit Scholarship (University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore) for the period 1993-1995, during Under Graduate Degree Programme.
- Life Member of Indian Society for Veterinary Immunology and Biotechnology (ISVIB), Chennai, India
- Life Member of Indian Society for technical Education (ISTE), New Delhi, India- Membership No. - LM 59831
RAVINDRAGOUDA PATIL PhD
H. No. 76/3B GURUBASAVA COLONY,
VIDYAGIRI POST, BAGALKOT-587102
H. No. 78, SHRI LAXMI VENKATESHWARA NILAYA, 1ST FLOOR,
1ST MAIN, 5TH CROSS, KIRLOSKAR LAYOUT, NAGASANDRA POST,
HESARAGHATTA MAIN ROAD, BENGALURU-560073