- Bachelor in Fisheries Science, College of Fisheries, Mangalore, Karnataka- 1983-87
- Masters in Fisheries Science, College of Fisheries, Mangalore, Karnataka- 1987-89
- Certificate course on “Environment Impact Assessment and Auditing”, in Development and Project Planning Centre, University of Bradford
- Ph.D. from Institute for Ocean Management, Anna University, Chennai, titled “Policies and Framework for Coastal Management in India”-2006.
- 1991 joined Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) as Scientist and thereafter working for 30 years in various positions in the Ministry after becoming Advisor, joined College of Fisheries in Karnataka, March 2019.
- Some of the major work undertaken include implementation of the CRZ notification 1991 and its amendment issued from time to time for almost 12 years..
- Responsible for drafting for CRZ notification 2011.
- Was the Member Secretary in various committees of CRZ review which included the committee under M.S. Swaminathan and Dr. Shailesh Nayak.
- In 2009 was appointed as National Project Director (NPD) of the World Bank assisted Integrated Coastal Management of US$ 230 million
- Had set up Societ of Integrated Coastal management,(SICOM), National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management (NCSCM) and several other institutions in the country.
- The Integrated Coastal Zone Management plan of Lakshadweep and Andaman & Nicobar was prepared.
- During the tenure as NPD was instrumental in preparing the CZMP map for the entire country. Hazard line map, erosion zone and ecological sensitive area mapping.
- Apart from the above , instrumental in formulating various standards for industries like steel, Brick klin, Pulp& Paper, industry etc.
- Has several publications and books in the areas of Coastal Zone Management in the country and he represented India in UNFCC Conference in Paris, Governing Council Member for SARCC Coastal Zone Management.